December is National Stress-Free Family Holiday Month. This festive season can easily turn into the most stressful season of the year due to heavy traffic, crowded places, long TSA security lines, unexpected delays at the airport and the list goes on.
To ensure you can enjoy this holiday season to the fullest, below are some tips that can help manage your stress:
- Pamper yourself. Treat yourself by taking a hot shower or bath, getting a massage, or making and sharing your all-time favorite dish. Self-care is key to relieve and manage stress.
- Eat healthily and stay hydrated. Eating balanced meals and drinking enough water can help your overall physical and mental health.
- Get enough rest and sleep. Rest and sleep can calm your anxiety. Creating your own bedtime rituals such as meditation, reading, or listening to music can also help you to get a good night’s rest.
- Find time to exercise. It can be difficult to find time to get your daily dose of exercise, especially when you are with your family and friends. However, it is crucial to get any form of exercise and physical activity which can help boost your mood and is also good for the body.
- Spend time with loved ones. Always remember to pause and spend quality time with your friends and family. This may help you feel less lonely and more connected, which can help improve your mental health as well.
Among all the things on your holiday to-do list, taking care of yourself both physically and mentally should be at the top of the list. Be sure to stay healthy and safe during this holiday season!
Want to speak with a UCR Health psychiatrist? You can schedule your in-person or virtual appointment here or give us a call at 1-844-827-8000.